PART II: VĂN HÓA MỸ
1. What type of economic system does the US have? – A capitalist economy or free market.
2. What movement tried to end racial discrimination (nhận thức chủng tộc)? – Civil Rights.
3. What is Martin luther King Jr. recognized for? – Fought for Civil Rights.
4. Name two American India tribe (bộ lạc) in the US? – Cherokee, Navajo; Cheyenne and Sioux.
5. USCIS (U.S Citizenship and Immigration Service)
6. Name one was fought by the US in the 1900s? – World War I, II, the Korean War and VietNam War.
7. Who was President during the Great Depression and World War II? – Franklin D.Roosevelt.
8. During the Cold War, what was the main concern of the US? – The spread of communism.
9. Name one US territory (hạt, lãnh thổ)? – Puerto Rico (the US Virgin Islands, American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands and Guam).
10. Name one state that borders Mexico? – Texas.
11. Where is the Statue of Liberty? – Liberty Island (standing on Liberty Island in New York Harbor)
12. Who was the US President during World War II? – Franklin D.Roosevelt.
13. Why does the US Flag have 13 stripes? – The original 13 colonies that rebelled against the British Crown. (50 stars on the flag represent the 50 US states; 13 stripes represent the original thirteen colonies).
14. When is the last day you can send in federal income tax form? – By April 15th of every year.
15. In which month do we vote for President? - November.
16. Which are the 2 major political parties in the US today? – Democratic and Republican.
17. For how long do we elect the members of the House of Representatives? – 2 years.
18. What 2 representative bodies make up Congress? – The Senate and the House of Representatives (both senators and representatives are chosen through direct election)
19. What is the name of the President’s official home? – The White House.
20. Name one responsibility that is reserved only for US citizens? – Vote or Serve on a jury (bồi thẩm đoàn)
21. Name two national US holidays? – Veteran Day and Independence Day. (New year’s Day, Martin Lutheer King Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labour Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas)
22. What was the main concern of the US during the Cold War? – USSR or Russia.
23. How many Senators are in the US Congress? – 100 (there are 100 senators in the US Senate, two from each state of the Union).
24. What is the minimum age to be President of the US? – 35.
25. What is the minimum age to vote in the US? – 18.
26. Who was the first President of the US? – George Washington (1789-1797).
27. Which were three British colonies? – Virginia, New York, Maryland. (1733: Great Britain controlled 13: Virginia, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Connecticut, Maryland, Rhode Island, Delaware, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, New Jersey, South Carolina and Georgia).
28. What US war was between the Northern and the Southern regions of the country? – The Civil War (1861 – 1865)
29. Which countries were enemies of the US in World War II? – Germany, Italy, Japan.
30. What borders the western coast of the US? – Pacific Ocean.
31. Who is the US government is accountable to? – The People.
32. Which 2 states border Canada? – Motana and Minnesota.
33. After the President and Vice President which office is next in line to head up the US government? – Speaker of the House of Representatives.
34. In which one of these events was the basis of the US Constitution established? – Philadelphia Convention (summer 1987).
35. What is the name of the current Speaker of the House of Representatives now? – Nancy Pelosi.
36. Who was the author of the Declaration of Independence? – Thomas Jefferson (July 4th, 1776; along with 56 founding fathers, including Benjamin Franklin and John Adams).
37. Which is a right or freedom not guaranteed by the Bill of Rights? – Right to the Pursuit of Happiness.
38. Who did the US acquired Lousiana from? – France (In 1803, the US paid $15 million to France for purchase of the region between the Mississippi River and the Rocky Mountain).
39. What did Sunan B.Anthony do? – Fought for women’s right, civil rights.
40. Who is the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court? – John G.Roberts.
41. What products were not in America until Europeans came? – Corm (hành)
42. What are three rights in the Declaration of Independence? – Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
43. The legislative branch is made up of? – two Houses of Congress.
44. How is representation in the House of Rep. determined? – by the size of the State’s population.
45. Which of the following is true about the Senate and the House of Representatives? – The age requirement for the Senate is older than that for the House.
46. Place the following steps of the law-making process in the correct order: -a: The bill is introduced in the Senate or House; -b: The bill is passed in each house; c: President may veto the bill; d: If the President vetoes the Bill, the houses vote to override the veto.
47. Which of the following is not a power of Congress? – to appoint judges. (powers are: - regulate trade with other nations. – to raise and support a navy. – to coin money).
48. Which powers do both state governments and the federal government have? – power to tax.
49. Which power is held only by the House of Representatives? – Power to initiate tax bills.
50. If a President is impeached, the trial takes place in the Senate.